ABOUT US – Who are leading Nyakongo2030 Initiative?
The World Student Community for Sustainable Development (WSCSD) is an international multidisciplinary organization providing university students and young professionals with opportunities for learning and collaboration towards sustainable development (SD). It comprises of individual members, student associations/clubs and young professionals in over hundred (100) countries. WSCSD’s programs include: awareness and training on SD through annual International Student Summit for Sustainability, workshops and publications; practical student projects aimed at greening campus facilities and operations as well as empowering local communities. The Kenyan chapter (WSCSD-Kenya) comprises of semi-autonomous student communities in over thirty (30) universities in Kenya. WSCSD-Kenya was legally registered by the Kenyan government as a non-profit organization in 2013.
What is it all about?
Nyakongo Sustainable Village Initiative (Nyakongo2030) aims at mobilizing university/college students to lead other stakeholders in transforming the poor rural community of Nyakongo, Kenya, into a model sustainable village. It will ensure that the sustainable social, cultural, environmental and economic wellbeing of Nyakongo residents is attained by the year 2030.
Where is it located?
Nyakongo2030 will be undertaken in Nyakongo ‘village’, located in Nyando constituency, Kisumu County, Kenya. The area falls within the Kano floodplains (Nyando Basin) and lies along the Awasi-Katito road. According the government statistics, over 70% of Nyakongo population live below the poverty level (less than 1.25 US dollar per day).
- We envision a future of ecosystem health, economic wealth and social well-being in Nyakongo village.
- We imagine a ‘sustainable’ society that is based on a long-term vision; a society of conservation and a society of social justice.
- To ensure that sustainable social, ecological and economic wellbeing of Nyakongo village is attained by the year 2030 through youth leadership and innovation.
- We don’t seek an endless growth of Nyakongo’s material ‘standard of living’. Rather, we seek sustainable development of its “quality of life,” as manifested in the welfare of its members, the vitality of its culture and the health of the natural environment in which it is embedded.
- Nyakongo2030 is therefore conceived to be a participatory way of carrying out development work in which different individuals, entrepreneurs, universities, NGOs, policy makers work together to improve the quality of life for all in a specific local context. WSCSD plays a bridging role between these actors.
- We hold no monopoly to poverty and sustainability solutions, we are mere facilitators of a platform for problem-solving. Nyakongo2030 is less about new projects, new product concepts than about ways to exploit the community’s human skills and expertise – the intelligence of its own people, as well as that of its friends – continuously.
- We set out to reinvent/redevelop development continuously. Not in a big bhang, but in tiny steps, all the time, everyday! We set out to be different, not because we have the solutions to poverty and local development challenges but because we are committed to ask the tough questions; and not to rest until we find their answers.
- We hold a shared understanding that everybody is an expert in his or her own right and at the same time, a learner. All knowledge brought in the process is considered of equal value. The expertise of the NGOs and the Universities is not viewed as superior to the local knowledge possessed by the community.
- WSCSD is initiating this project with flexibility to the process emerging from the community and openness. Though timelines are important for planning, we are committed to following the process rather than the timetable.
- Define, co-create, empower and support a well balanced and healthy community (with entire economical, social and ecological interests).
- Create a model community that is able to feed itself, educate its children, access healthcare and decent housing by 2030.
- To mobilize youth to transform Nyakongo village into a sustainable village through participatory co-creation and collaboration with development stakeholders.
Quick Links to other pages:
- Vision, Mission & Objectives
- Board Members
- Partners and Friends
- Join or Support Us
- Student Summit for Sustainability (S3)
- Adopt an Ecosystem Initiative
- Sustainable Village Initiative
- GreeningU Initiative
- Nyakongo Biosand Filters
- Green Entrepreneurship
- United Youth for Peace through Community Development
- Sustainable Energy Competition on Low-Carbon Neighborhood Development
- RE:SOLUTIONS – 21 young leaders on climate change
- WSCSD’s African Initiative
- Vision – an E-journal on sustainability
- Student Community Projects